Premier League Primary Stars is an ambitious community partnership between the British Council and the Premier League, which aims to provide support to primary schools in the UK and partner countries. Primary Stars inspires school children in everything from maths and English to teamwork and sport, to develop a brighter future for young people around the world.
Premier League Primary Stars
Premier League Primary Stars was launched in 2019 in India. The programme uses the appeal of the Premier League, alongside the British Council’s global network, and world class expertise in English, to deliver a high-quality programme.
The programme provides teachers around the world with world-class coaching training, learning resources and physical education activities, using the power of football to enable children to achieve success in everything from maths and English, to teamwork and sport.
Primary Stars builds on the successful partnership between the Premier League and British Council of delivering the Premier Skills programme in 29* countries since 2007. The programme also builds on the Premier League’s achievements of delivering the programme to over 10,000 primary schools in England and Wales.
Objectives of Primary Stars
The Key Objectives of the Project are to:
- Increase understanding of best practice in the use of football for educational development;
- Provide training for Primary School teachers, Physical Education teachers and football club coaches to increase their understanding of and capacity to deliver PE (physical education) and PSHE (personal, social, health and economic education). The hope is that these teachers and coaches then engage with young people, including women and girls, to increase their enjoyment, participation and skills in PE and PSHE.
- Provide training for at least (number of teachers and coaches) to increase their capacity to deliver inclusive and effective PE and PSHE lessons.
- Work with a diverse group of participants representing a cross-section of the community, of whom no less than 50% are female
Premier League Primary Stars outcomes
To use football to increase young people’s enjoyment, participation and skills in PE and PSHE Education.Teachers and coaches demonstrate improved knowledge and skills in PE and PSHE Education.
Increased stakeholder awareness, openness, knowledge and capacity for using football as a tool for educational development
The trained teachers and coaches will report increased learning in the following areas as a result of their involvement in Premier League Primary Stars:
- Skills, knowledge and behaviours need to deliver effective PE and PSHE Education
- Understanding of PE and PSHE best practice
- Understanding of how to run fully inclusive PE and PSHE sessions
- Skills as Premier League Primary Stars Champions, capable of passing skills onto new teachers and coaches