CPD is a planned, continuous and lifelong process whereby teachers try to develop their personal and professional qualities, and to improve their knowledge, skills and practice, leading to their empowerment, the improvement of their agency and the development of their organisation and their pupils.
(Padwad, Amol; Dixit, Krishna (2011) Continuing Professional Development: An Annotated Bibliography. British Council)
British Council CPD Framework
The British Council Frameworks of Continuing Professional Development for teachers and teacher educators are the organising principles for our approach to teacher education and development: Teaching for Success
The frameworks represent our global understanding of, and expertise in, teaching and teacher development. Our services and resources for the teaching of English language and other school subjects are all mapped to our CPD Frameworks and provide clear pathways for the development of teaching professionals.
Our CPD frameworks provide access to:
- self-assessment for teachers and teacher educators of their knowledge and skills
- English language level assessment
- benchmarking of teaching professionals’ English language skills
- analysis of needs for our clients and partners
- our large portfolio of modular training and development materials
- assessment of impact of professional development.