Teaching for Success helps transform the quality of teaching in primary and secondary schools. It exemplifies the British Council’s vision that all teachers in the world have high quality continuing professional development (CPD) opportunities that improve their own professional understanding and practice and their learners’ success. The approach is underpinned by the British Council Frameworks of Continuing Professional Development for teachers and teacher educators.
We work with governments, agencies and institutions to understand priorities and the needs of teachers and learners. We collaborate on the design of CPD programmes and systems which meet these requirements and are matched to the local context. We work with other UK organisations to bring the widest range of expertise to each project and programme.
Our goal is quality in the classroom, where teachers are competent, knowledgeable, highly motivated, committed to their profession and able to innovate and achieve the best for their learners.
The British Council brings its global professional expertise to create sustainable teacher development solutions which:
- build local continuing professional development systems and the human resource to maintain them
- meet identified teacher needs and government priorities
- have a positive and lasting impact on quality in the classroom
- manage the factors across the whole education system that impact on achieving the goals for teacher development and quality in the classroom
- embed equality, diversity and inclusion at every level
- make the most effective use of technology for learning.
Ensuring outcomes in the classroom
Teaching for Success uses the following approach to building effective continuing professional development systems to improve the quality of teaching: