- Q: How does the course work?
- Q. How do I sign up for a course?
- Q. What are the payment options available?
- Q: How will this course help me?
- Q: How many classes are there in a course?
- Q: Are these courses for adults?
- Q: Will these courses help me with specific skills like public speaking, personality development etc?
- Q: What levels is the IELTS Coach course for?
- Q: How many students are in a class and how will I communicate with them?
- Q: What is the course fee for each module?
- Q: Can I get a demo session of the course?
- Q: Do we have live classes, or do we get recordings of classes in these courses?
- Q: Which course should I choose from the two options? What is covered in each course?
- Q: I am at Pre-Intermediate level but the IELTS Coach course is not offered at this level. What can I do?
- Q. Does the IELTS Coach course prepare me for the paper-based or computer-based IELTS examination?
- Q: How do I enrol in a course?
- Q: What are the course timings?
- Q: Can I change the date of my course after enrolling on it?
- Q: Can I go for a different level from what I scored in the level check?
- Q: What to do if a course is not available at my level?
- Q. How do I choose which module to select from my level?
- Q: My online payment was not successful. What can I do?
- Q: Does the Covid-19 lockdown affect my course?
- Q. How do I log into my course and get access to the learning materials once I have registered?
- Q. What are the learning materials that come with the course?
- Q: I have a limited bandwidth internet connection. Can I join the course?
- Q: If I miss a class, will I get a recording of it?
- Q: Will I get a certificate after I complete the course? Will it be physical or e-certificate?
- Q: Can more than one person access a single course login at a time?
- Q: How can I re-register for a course?
- Q. What are the technical requirements to access the course?
- Q: What kind of experience and qualifications do your teachers have?
- Q: What is your Statement of Approach?
- Q. What is your Special Education Needs policy?
Course structure and content
Q: How does the course work?
A: You study through Live Online Classes and Online Activities. There are 12 hours of live online classes with a teacher for Speaking and Writing test practice on this course. There are also 30 hours of guided online activities for Listening and Reading test practice over four weeks. You complete a set of online activities each week at your own pace. You attend the live online classes with the teacher as per your weekly course schedule. Usually, classes are held either once a week for three hours or twice a week for 1.5 hours each.
We offer two different modules or courses for IELTS Coach. One will help prepare for IELTS Academic and the other for IELTS General Training exam.
Q. How do I sign up for a course?
A: Here are the steps on how to sign up for a course:
- Click on the blue ‘Get Started’ button on the course page
- You will be taken to a page where you will take an Online Level Check. This will help us determine your current English level and the course best suited to your needs. The test will comprise 30 multiple choice questions and you will have up to 30 minutes to complete the test
- Click on the ‘Start the level check’ button to start taking the test
- Once you complete the test, you will be shown the course options available to you along with details on each option. Select the module which best suits you.
- Once you do so, you will be able to see the options for the start date and time for your chosen module. Select the start date and time that suits you best. You will have live online classes every week on the same dates and time chose and you cannot change date and time once chosen.
- After selecting the module and start date and time, proceed to the checkout section to pay for the course. If you do not have a discount code, leave the discount code box blank.
- You can use a variety of payment methods, such as credit/debit cards/RuPay etc. In case you wish to use UPI or Paytm please select PayU as the payment option. Complete the payment and you will receive a confirmation on the screen once payment is successful. In case you wish to use UPI or Paytm please select PayU as the payment option.
- Upon successful payment, you will receive an email with details on how to login to your course and access the course materials. Do check the spam/junk folders to ensure that you do not miss the email.
Q. What are the payment options available?
You can use a variety of payment methods, such as Visa/Master/Amex/JCB/Discover/Diners Club credit/debit cards, wallets such as PayTM, Phone Pe and BHIM and UPI methods such Google Pay, Phone Pe, BHIM, PayTM, Amazon Pay, etc. In case you wish to use any UPI or wallets please select PayU as the payment option. Complete the payment and you will receive a confirmation on the screen once payment is successful.
Q: How will this course help me?
A: On this course you will improve your test awareness, understand the exam format and develop strategies for taking the test. You will learn about the test format and assessment criteria for IELTS Speaking and Writing during the live classes. You will practice speaking during the live classes and can write and get feedback on two essays. You will also get advice on further resources to help you with this skill.
You will review useful grammar and vocabulary. You will also access online activities for Listening and Reading sections of the test on the app.
Q: How many classes are there in a course?
A: Each course has 12 hours of live classes and 30 hours of guided online activities.
Q: Are these courses for adults?
A: Yes, the myEnglish, myEnglish Workplace and IELTS Coach courses are for adult learners. To be specific, you must be 18 years of age or above to join these courses. Learners younger than 18 years will not be permitted on the course.
Q: Will these courses help me with specific skills like public speaking, personality development etc?
A: Through our English courses, you will improve your overall communication skills and build your accuracy and fluency to converse in English. You will be able to apply this to a variety of situations and present your ideas more confidently and clearly.
Q: What levels is the IELTS Coach course for?
A: IELTS Coach course is available for those at the Intermediate level of English and above. The course focuses on test practice, strategies and tips, not language development.
Q: How many students are in a class and how will I communicate with them?
A: Our courses have a maximum of 20 students in a class. This ensures that each student has ample time to practice in class and get individual attention from the teacher.
You will meet and interact with your teachers and classmates during the live online classes using your mic and speakers.
Q: What is the course fee for each module?
A: The price for each course or module is INR 4,750 per course for a student.
Q: Can I get a demo session of the course?
A: We run course demos every week. You can sign up to the upcoming webinars and course demos here
Q: Do we have live classes, or do we get recordings of classes in these courses?
A: You will get to attend live online classes in the course. We use Zoom to deliver our live online classes which allows you to interact with your teacher and classmates. The experience is like being in any British Council class. There is a lot of interaction and opportunities to practice and work together.
Q: Which course should I choose from the two options? What is covered in each course?
A: We offer two different modules or courses for IELTS Coach. One will help prepare for IELTS Academic and the other for IELTS General Training exam. Choose the course based on the type of IELTS exam you are going to take.
General Training Module
(Intermediate and above)
The IELTS General Training test is for those going to English speaking countries for secondary education, work or training programs. It is also a requirement for migration to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.
Work towards the band score you need with the IELTS Coach General Training module. You’ll look at writing letters and essays that are well-structured on this course. You do this while building your vocabulary on a variety of topics.
Practice speaking skills for all three sections of the Speaking test and get feedback. You will also practice Reading and Listening test questions, and improve your grammar as well as strategies for taking the test.
(Intermediate and above)
The IELTS Academic test is for people applying for higher education or professional registration in an English speaking environment.
Work towards the band score you need with the IELTS Coach Academic module. You will develop the ability to analyse data and visuals to write a clear report. You will also learn to structure your ideas and arguments for opinion and discursive essays.
Practice speaking on a variety of topics for all three sections of the Speaking test and get feedback. You will also practice Reading and Listening test questions, and improve your vocabulary and grammar as well as test strategies.
Q: I am at Pre-Intermediate level but the IELTS Coach course is not offered at this level. What can I do?
A: At the Pre-intermediate level, you can join the myEnglish course to help you improve your overall English skills. This will help you towards your preparation for IELTS. That is because only if you improve your English will you be able to score higher in the test.
Q. Does the IELTS Coach course prepare me for the paper-based or computer-based IELTS examination?
A: You can join IELTS Coach whether you are going to take the paper-based or computer-based IELTS test. This course will prepare you for all the four sections of the test – Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
Enrolling in a course
Q: How do I enrol in a course?
A: First, visit the course page on our website. Then click on the ‘get started’ button to complete the online level test and find out your level. You will see all the course modules available at your level. Choose the course timing that suits you and add it to your cart. Then, fill in your contact details and complete your payment online.
Q: What are the course timings?
A: We have a range of course timings available from morning to evening. You can also choose from live online classes on the weekdays or weekends. When you complete the online level check, you will find out your level. You can then see available course timings for your level that you can choose from. For eg. If you have selected a Tuesday-Thursday course option and a timing of 2-4 PM, you will have live online classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 2-4 PM. Please note that once you have selected the dates and time, you cannot change them.
Q: Can I change the date of my course after enrolling on it?
A: We only allow transfers as per our terms and conditions under certain cases. We have a range of weekday and weekend options available for our courses. So please choose your course timing carefully.
Q: Can I go for a different level from what I scored in the level check?
A: No, learners should join the course at their level to ensure the best learning outcomes.
Q: What to do if a course is not available at my level?
A: Contact our Customer Service team at 0120- 4569000/ 6684353. Our lines are open Monday to Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM IST.
Q. How do I choose which module to select from my level?
A: You can learn more about the details of modules available at different levels on this page. Also, after you complete your online level check, you will be shown the description of the modules available at your level again so that you can select the module based on your requirements.
Q: My online payment was not successful. What can I do?
A: Contact our Customer Service team at 0120- 4569000/ 6684353. Our lines are open Monday to Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM IST.
Q: Does the Covid-19 lockdown affect my course?
A: Our online courses will be delivered during the lockdown and there won’t be any disruption for you. You can attend these courses from the comfort of your home.
Joining classes and accessing materials
Q. How do I log into my course and get access to the learning materials once I have registered?
A: Upon completing your course registration, you will receive an email from email@example.com with a link to set up your account username and password to access your weekly live online classes. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours from the time of registration to receive these emails. Also, 48-hours prior to the course start date, you will receive an account registration email to set up your IELTS coach app from myEnglish@britishcouncil.org along with a student book and guide to help you make the most out of the course. Do check your spam/junk email folders for these emails.
Q. What are the learning materials that come with the course?
The IELTS Coach app has detailed and interactive online study activities (over 30 hours). You will also receive a student book and guide to help you make the most out of the course. You will receive access to the IELTS coach app 48-hours prior to the course start date and for a total of 8-weeks from this time. This will ensure that you will be able to access the online course materials even after the course has finished.
Q: I have a limited bandwidth internet connection. Can I join the course?
A: You need a broadband connection or a 4G mobile connection to join the course.
Q: If I miss a class, will I get a recording of it?
A: To ensure the privacy of our students, we do not record classes. Details about the topics covered are available in the student book. Your teacher will also be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Q: Will I get a certificate after I complete the course? Will it be physical or e-certificate?
A: A student is eligible to receive an e-certificate for attendance after attending minimum 6 hours of Live Online Classes.
Q: Can more than one person access a single course login at a time?
A: No, the course access or login is meant for the learner who has signed up for the course only.
Q: How can I re-register for a course?
A: We send our students email communication on how to re-register when your course is about to end. Your teacher will also share information with you. Please do contact our customer service if you require further help with re-registration to your next course.
Q. What are the technical requirements to access the course?
Please make sure your tablet, mobile phone or computer meets the system requirements, which you can check here: https://britishcouncil.learning.re/help/topics/system_requirements
Our Live Online Courses use a lot of video, so we recommend a minimum internet connection speed of 0.5 Mbps.
Microphone & webcam
Our courses include a lot of interaction in the Live Online Class. Please make sure you have access to a microphone and webcam in advance.
Check the Zoom system requirements here.
Our teachers and statement of approach
Q: What kind of experience and qualifications do your teachers have?
A: Our teaching team comprises a diverse and varied group of English speakers. They have the knowledge, skills and experience to develop the language communication skills and learning strategies of our learners. All British Council teachers and trainers are fully proficient in English. In addition to a first degree, they all hold international English language teaching and online teaching qualifications. They also hold additional qualifications such as Master's degrees, DELTA and CELTYL.
We have been helping students around the world for over 80 years. Our teachers receive continuous professional development on employing the latest teaching methods and techniques for teaching modern, real-life English.
When you learn with the British Council, you are learning with the English experts you can trust.
Q: What is your Statement of Approach?
A: In British Council classrooms, learners succeed in their language learning because teachers:
- set realistic goals with and for their learners
- inform learners of the aims and purpose of learning activities
- Create a positive and inclusive learning environment. In the classroom learners learn with and from each other. We also help learners feel confident using English in the classroom.
- make lessons engaging, personally relevant and challenging
- help learners develop intercultural awareness and understanding
- help learners develop a positive and resilient attitude towards their English language learning
- use a variety of resources and technologies to meet their learners’ needs
- help learners identify the strategies that suit them best to become successful and autonomous language learners
- give timely and positive feedback on learning and progress
- encourage learners to reflect in an orderly manner and regularly upon their learning and progress.
Q. What is your Special Education Needs policy?
A. SPECIAL EDUCATION NEEDS (SEN) POLICY
British Council is an inclusive organisation that welcomes students with learning difficulties or medical conditions. We aim to integrate SEN students into our mainstream classes, where possible, so that they can follow the curriculum and achieve the course learning objectives.
We recognise that each student has his/her own individual needs. Our aim is to ensure that, as far as possible, students are consulted and involved in decisions about how their needs might be met. This involves talking to and listening to our students, as it is important that their views regarding their learning are properly considered. To help us do this, we request you to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once notified, we will arrange a telephone or video conference before the course starts. We may also offer trial access to our online activities to session to assess any barriers to study with us.
This information will be used to formulate an individual plan for the student, enabling us to optimise our teaching methods to better suit you.
Please contact email@example.com or 0120-4569000 / 6684353, Mon-Sat 9.00 am to 6.00 pm. for more information.
Sometimes, it is not possible to offer a place for the student because they do not meet our entry requirements (e.g. literacy skills do not correspond with what is needed for students undertaking that level of study). In some cases, we may not accept a student into our course because we are not able to provide consistent and sustainable support. The decision to not allow a student to register (or continue) is not made lightly and is based upon a consideration of all factors related to the individual case. The outcome is at the discretion of the centre’s Academic Manager.
Q: Who can I talk to for more information on the course?
For course-related queries, please call 0120- 4569000 / 6684353, Mon-Sat 9.00 am to 6.00 pm.