Ready to begin your journey as an English language teacher?
Three out of four English language teaching jobs worldwide require a CELTA qualification. If you’re looking to start a career as an English teacher, getting your CELTA qualification with the British Council is a great place to start.
CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is an internationally recognised teacher training and certification programme moderated and accredited by Cambridge Assessment English (UK). For over 30 years, it has been offered worldwide in over 60 countries by over 300 schools and with over 12,000 graduates per year.
CELTA is an initial qualification for people with little or no previous teaching experience and is recognised around the world. If you're a teacher looking to work with quality language teaching institutions such as the British Council, CELTA is for you.
By the end of the course, you will:
- have gained essential knowledge of the principles of effective English teaching
- have developed a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- have demonstrated your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context
- are ready to begin working in a variety of ESL teaching contexts around the world.
CELTA is offered as an online course across India in two learning plans to suit your convenience:
- A full time, intensive 5 weeks and 120 hours curriculum at INR 1,50,000/-
- A part-time, flexible 10 weeks and 120 hours curriculum at INR 1,50,000/-
Our face-to-face classes are currently suspended due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation.
As a part of this course you will:
- train as part of a small group and receive individual support and attention
- attend daily input sessions focusing on language awareness and teaching methodology
- plan and deliver six hours of observed teaching and receive feedback on your performance
- produce four written assignments on language, learning and teaching theory
- observe other course participants and more experienced British Council teachers
- find out what it is like to work in a busy and successful teaching centre.
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
How will you be assessed? - There is no final written exam, but you’ll be assessed on:
- planning and teaching
- ability to transfer what you learn to the classroom
- awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of your teaching
- contribution to input and feedback sessions
- classroom-related written assignments