CELTA (Certificate in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an internationally recognised initial teaching qualification from Cambridge English Assessment (UK) and respected by institutions and employers in English Language Teaching around the world.
CELTA gives you the essential skills, knowledge and hands-on teaching practice you need to teach English to adults.
- the ideal choice if you are new to teaching or else have some experience and wish a formal qualification
- widely available at British Council India with over 20 courses running each year in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata
- a highly respected qualification from Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge UK.
Who is the course for?
- Practising English teachers seeking an internationally recognised qualification. Practising teachers (schools, colleges, universities & corporate trainers) seeking Continuing Professional Development and new career pathways
- Newly qualified graduates wishing to start a teaching career in English Language Teaching (ELT)
- Professionals from other fields seeking a career change.
What does the course cover?
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
Ways to Take CELTA
Full-time - The Classic Course & An Immersion Study Experience
This intensive course requires full time attendance at the centre for 120 + contact hours over 4 weeks as well as being able to dedicate personal study time for a similar number of hours.
Part-time - Flexibility to Develop and Reflect on Learning
The course content is the same as the full-time immersion course but with course duration spread over 12 weeks.
An ideal choice if you-
- need more flexibility to fit around work or other commitments.
- can work in your current job and study at the same time
- have not studied recently and wish more time to adjust to the pace
- are changing careers into teaching and wish time to assimilate new learning.
Online CELTA (Blended Learning) - Study at Your Own Pace
Blended learning - online input sessions and written assignments.
Practical teaching with on-site teaching practice and lesson observations.
An ideal choice if you -
- have constraints with full time attendance at a centre
- are self-motivated and well -organised with effective study skills
- are an independent learner with some experience of online learning.
Minimum entry requirements
- Proficient English language user (between CEFR Level C1 and C2 or above)
- Educated to the standard required for entry into higher education.
How you will be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the course and there is no final examination. The two types of assessment are:
You will teach for a total of 6 hours, working with adult classes at a minimum of two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance.
You will complete four written assignments (each 750 - 1,000 words). These focus on:
- analysing and responding to adult learner needs
- analysing language for teaching purposes
- teaching language skills
- reflecting on classroom teaching.