CELTA (Certificate in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an internationally recognised initial teaching qualification from Cambridge English Assessment (UK) and respected by institutions and employers in English Language Teaching around the world.
CELTA gives you the essential skills, knowledge and hands-on teaching practice you need to teach English to adults.
- the ideal choice if you are new to teaching or else have some experience and wish a formal qualification
- widely available at British Council India with over 20 courses running each year in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata
- a highly respected qualification from Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge UK.
Who is the course for?
- Practising English teachers seeking an internationally recognised qualification. Practising teachers (schools, colleges, universities & corporate trainers) seeking Continuing Professional Development and new career pathways
- Newly qualified graduates wishing to start a teaching career in English Language Teaching (ELT)
- Professionals from other fields seeking a career change.
What does the course cover?
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
Why take this course?
With CELTA, you show employers that you:
- have gained essential knowledge of the principles of effective English teaching
- have developed a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- have demonstrated your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context
- are ready to begin working in a variety of ESL teaching contexts around the world.
Applications are processed in order of receipt. We advise you apply early to avoid disappointment as our courses are regularly over-subscribed.
our trainee TESTIMONIALs
With a teaching experience of over 10 years in different educational organisations within my country, India, I desired and felt the need to take my pedagogical career into the occidental forum. After spending quality time researching about various courses, I fixed my focus onto CELTA, as taking this exam would provide me with the opportunity to live my dreams of teaching English abroad. I was elated to find out that the British council, Kolkata conducted the CELTA course under the University of Cambridge. As I was born and raised in Kolkata, I never gave a second thought but decided to take the course in the city itself. It was like I could eat the cake and take it home too.
The one month CELTA experience was the best thing that ever happened to me in the sphere of my career development. To describe it as a life changing experience would be an understatement. I would surely and positively say that it was a "life developing" experience. The course as delivered by the CELTA trainers, Reena and Robin brought out the best teacher in me, it nurtured and honed my teaching skills and provided me with valuable insights into the art of pedagogy. The entire course was filled with elements of learning, fun, enjoyment, activities and it not only gave me the opportunity to be a good teacher, but also to develop myself as a better person, as a better individual. It installed heaps of confidence and positivity in me and took me to a whole new level as far as International teaching standards were concerned. The constant advice and guidance of Reena and Robin made CELTA into an enriching experience, an experience which would forever be an integral part of me.
CELTA has changed my life for the better and I have been able to live up to my dreams of becoming an ESL teacher abroad. I was provided with the opportunity to join educational Institutes in Turkey, Dubai and Vietnam. I am currently based in Hanoi as a full time ESL teacher involved with students from the age group of 3 years to 50 years, as well as a part time ESL teacher at a Private School. I am more than happy and content in all the aspects of my current profile. I would sincerely like to mention that, without CELTA, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far and attain success in my current position.
Tathagata Chakravarty, Kolkata
Ways to take CELTA
Full-time - The Classic Course & An Immersion Study Experience
This intensive course requires full time attendance at the centre for 120 + contact hours over 4 weeks as well as being able to dedicate personal study time for a similar number of hours.
Minimum entry requirements
- Proficient English language user (between CEFR Level C1 and C2 or above)
- Educated to the standard required for entry into higher education.
How you will be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the course and there is no final examination. The two types of assessment are:
You will teach for a total of 6 hours, working with adult classes at a minimum of two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance.
You will complete four written assignments (each 750 - 1,000 words). These focus on:
- analysing and responding to adult learner needs
- analysing language for teaching purposes
- teaching language skills
- reflecting on classroom teaching.