STEP (Sixth Term Examination Paper) Mathematics is a well-established mathematics examination designed to test candidates on questions that are similar in style to undergraduate mathematics.
STEP is used by the University of Cambridge, the University of Warwick and Imperial College London. Please check the details of your course(s) to confirm if you are required to take STEP as part of the application process. If you are in any doubt, please contact the university directly. Other universities sometimes ask candidates to take STEP as part of their offer – in such cases, the university can advise on which papers to take.
From 2021, STEP 1 will no longer exist and only STEP 2 and STEP 3 will remain.
The test consists of up to two 3-hour paper-based examinations: STEP 2 and STEP 3. Candidates are usually required to sit either one or two of the examinations. Please reach out to the university that you have applied to for clarification.
Graph paper is not needed, as the test requires only sketches, not detailed graphs. There is no longer a formulae booklet for STEP Mathematics examinations.
- The exam will be paper based.
- We administer the exam at New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkata only.
- STEP Paper II is scheduled on 8 June 2023 and STEP Paper III 21 June 2023.
- Registration starts on 1 March 2023 1000hrs IST to 2 May 2023 1700hrs IST.
- The exam registration fee is INR 28,137 per paper. This is inclusive of the exam board fee and our administration charges.
- Exam venue details will be conveyed to you 10 calendar days before the test date(s) via email
You are required to complete four important steps to register with us successfully.
1. Duly filled STEP registration form (attached to this email). Please ensure you fill your UCAS ID (if available). Your centre number is as follows:
- New Delhi: IN154
- Chennai: IN165
- Mumbai: IN164
- Kolkata: IN166
2. Please pay the exam fee via NEFT only. Please do not use any other form of payment. Our banking details are as follows:
- Name: British Council
- Account No.:
- Name & Address of Bank: Standard Chartered Bank, 23 Barakhamba Road, New Delhi-110001, India
- IFSC Code: SCBL0036020
- SWIFT Code: SCBLINBBXXX
3. Fill out the following MS Form link with the relevant details
You will need to provide the UTR number while filling out this link, therefore please ensure the payment is made prior to filling out this MS Form
4. One scanned copy of the duly completed registration form (all 4 pages) along with one NEFT screenshot should be shared with us by replying to this email.
Requests for cancellations or refunds will be accepted till 2 May 2023 1700hrs IST. No cancellation or refund requests will be accepted after the deadline.
Any request for a refund will first be reviewed approved on a case-to-case basis internally. If approved, we will deduct 25% as an administrative fee and refund the remaining 75%.
In the event of an exam cancellation by Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing, refund will be initiated after deducting 25% as an administrative fee.
Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing accepts requests for Access Arrangement.
- Last date to request modified question papers (e.g., enlarged scripts) is 19 April 2023 1700hrs IST
- Last date to request Access Arrangements (e.g., extra time) is 2 May 2023 1700hrs IST
We would require an original medical report to process any request for access arrangement. The supporting evidence must be legible and written in English. It must be on headed paper or with an official stamp and bearing the name, relevant qualification(s) and signature of a recognised medical practitioner or other appropriately qualified specialist assessor. All Access Arrangement requests are subject to approval from the Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing.
Please read the attachment “Notes about Access Arrangements” for further information.
- Please maintain one email thread while responding to us quoting your reference number.
- Registration will be initiated after the successful receipt of the exam fee.
- The Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing website states that “Centres may set their own deadline in advance for accepting registrations” (https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/dates-and-costs/). We will not accept registrations after 2 May 2023 1700hrs IST.
- For any general queries regarding the test, we request you to contact Helpdesk for Cambridge Exam at email@example.com or https://support.admissionstestingservice.org/hc/en-gb
Our working hours are from 0900hrs IST to 1700hrs IST from Monday to Friday. For any further assistance or information please write to us at CambridgeExams@BritishCouncil.Org.