You can register for IELTS quickly and easily either online or by post/courier.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download the Information for Candidates from the Downloads section at the bottom of this page which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS Academic: this is recommended for candidates who plan to undertake academic study.
IELTS General Training: this is recommended for candidates to use at work, work-related training or for migration.
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you. It is strongly recommended that you also check with the organisations you wish to apply to before you book your test.
CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. IELTS test with the British Council are very popular, so we recommend that you register one month prior to make sure you get a place. Check the IELTS test dates
You can use our online registration system to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability or else contact one of our centres to register in person.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing tests will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive a notification if your Speaking test is on a different day from your main test day 5 days before the test.
The registration fee for IELTS is INR 11,800
Register online by completing the following two steps.
- Complete the application form online and choose the test date.
- Pay online by credit card/debit Card (Visa, Visa electron, Master Card)
Register offline by completing the following three steps.
- Download the IELTS registration form.
- Complete your details and choose the test date
- To pay by cash or demand draft visit the nearest ICICI bank with the ICICI payment slip
CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
If registering online/ via post/ via courier you can pay using the following methods:
- Cash (make cash payment at any ICICI bank branch by filling in the ICICI payment slip)
- Demand Draft (send a demand draft drawn in favour of 'British Council' payable at Delhi along with a copy of the online registration confirmation / completed application form.
Please note: Cash or credit/debit card payment for IELTS fees is not accepted at our office.
PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Candidates who apply using the online application form and are paying online by Credit/Debit card:
- No documents required.
Candidates who apply using the online application form and are paying by Cash or Demand Draft must submit the following documents:
- A copy of the IELTS Test application acknowledgement that they receive by email after registering online.
- Evidence of the payment made (either the demand draft or the ‘British Council copy’ of the ICICI payment slip).
The documents must be received at our Gurgaon Office within 3 days from the day of registering for the test. This will enable us to confirm your booking. If paying at ICICI Bank, candidates are required to upload the deposit slip duly stamped and acknowledged by the ICICI bank in the candidate area.
Candidates who apply using the physical application form and are paying by Cash or Demand Draft must send:
- The completed IELTS application form.
- The evidence of the payment made (either the demand draft or the ‘British Council copy’ of the ICICI payment slip).
AFTER YOU REGISTER
Those registering online will receive an email confirming payment receipt and containing access details to our free online preparation course - Road to IELTS. Your test date is confirmed once you receive this email.
Those registering by post/courier will receive a confirmation receipt and Road to IELTS access details within 7 days of receipt of your document. You will receive an email confirming payment receipt and containing access details to our free online preparation course.
For more information about the postponement, cancellation, amendment of test version and remarking, please visit our Terms and conditions page.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have. Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
Learn more about what we can do to help you.