Vijayawada: Andhra Pradesh Government (AP) and Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education (APSCHE) in partnership with the British Council aim to improve the English language proficiency and employability skills of 100,000 college students at select higher education institutes in Andhra Pradesh.
This initiative is guided by the Chief Minister N Chandra Babu Naidu‘s vision on developing an ecosystem in Andhra Pradesh, “We aim to transform Andhra Pradesh state into a knowledge hub by providing quality education and giving opportunities for students to develop employability skills among the Universities and Colleges in the state.”
To support this vision, British Council will run a pilot project that is transformative, systemic, sustainable and provides better quality teaching, learning and assessment of English in colleges in Andhra Pradesh; leading to an increasing number of the 1.7 million college students gaining confidence and skills to communicate in English, resulting in increased employability and/or education opportunities.
The goal is quality in the classroom, where learners have access to high quality technology enabled learning and assessment programs and teachers are competent, motivated, and able to support and achieve the best for their learners. This includes new and innovative approaches to language learning and assessment involving flexible, scalable, blended and digital self-access solutions that have been developed based on extensive research into the needs of learners. Our blended and digital programs have been specifically designed to create a positive and effective learning environment and to promote measurable, sustainable learning
The project will also build institutional and organisational capacity, by bringing together partners, knowledge and innovation to build solutions that address the vision of increasing employability.
The key objectives of the 15 month pilot project are that:
• learners will improve their workplace English, employability and soft skills through an integrated training solution (face-to-face and online) and thereby have access to increased opportunities for further education and employment
• English teachers will be able to employ teaching methodologies which facilitate more communicative language learning outcomes
• a suitable cadre of Master Trainers will be developed, who will support the on-going training and professional development of English teachers in colleges on a sustainable basis.
Sri Ganta Srinivasa Rao, Hon’ble Minister Human Resource Development, Andhra Pradesh said, ‘With a vision to equip students with necessary employability skills and teachers with modern training methods, AP Government has partnered with the British Council to impart English language skills to students leveraging modern pedagogy and technology.’
Alan Gemmell, Director, British Council India said, “In the UK-India Year of Culture the British Council is strengthening its partnership with the Government of Andhra Pradesh through our Indian subsidiary British Council English and Examinations Services India (BCEESIPL). We are delighted to support the ambitious vision Chief Minister Naidu has set for the State and improve the educational opportunity and employment skills and employment opportunities of 100,000 learners.”
Michael King, Managing Director, British Council English and Examinations Services India (BCEESIPL), Pvt Ltd said, “British Council English and Examinations Services and the Government of Andhra Pradesh are working towards a better skilled workforce of young talent, with internationally benchmarked levels of spoken English proficiency, that they are able to map to roles and job types.”
The 100,000 learners will benefit through:
- Improved English communication skills through highly effective blended learning
• Develop English for Employability skills for the 21st century
• More time to practice English, especially speaking
- Independent learning – preparation for future global work environment
- Teachers get to develop more engaging and activity-based learning in the class
- Internationally benchmarked certificate to demonstrate English language skills for employment prospects
For more details about the programme, click here.