ICYDK, this year we’re sashaying into our 60th year in the city of Pune. In these 59 years (whoa there!), we've welcomed hundreds of thousands of the city's book lovers coming to our library to read, chill, discover new books, meet friends, and even spend quality time with their families playing boardgames and telling stories.
So in the spirit of celebrating this friendship, we asked our Instagram community in Pune what are some of their favourite places to spend their family weekends at, and here’s what they answered:
- Mahabaleshwar – A must-visit for all Punekars it seems, this beautiful hill town attracts families through the year. Go on a hike, take a boat ride across Venna lake, go birdwatching or just get mystified visiting the caves, temples, and forts – there’s a lot to keep you busy.
- Shaniwar Wada – Stroll through its manicured gardens or marvel at its architectural beauty, Shaniwar Wada stands tall amongst Pune's favourite family hotspots with its majestic gates, palaces, fountains, and a Bollywood blockbuster-worth history.
- Taljai Hills – A no-vehicle zone full of migratory birds and resident peacocks right in the heart of the city – need we say why it's our personal favourite? For those who want to keep exploring, about 4 kilometers from Taljai is the Parvati Hill which also ranked high amongst the city's family-favourite spots.
- Koregaon Park – Pune's love for all-things-green is no secret, which explains why Koregaon Park - home to the Bund Garden and the Osho Ashram - received an honourable mention from our Instagram community.
- British Council library – We're grinning ear-to-ear on being named a favourite family spot. Since we first started operations as ‘British Library’ at Ranade Institute in 1960, we've played host to generations of families bringing in their kids and grandkids to our library for the love for reading, and to cherish quality time together. We can't thank you enough, Pune for all the love you've given us!