Join us for Summer Zine Labs!
The lab is a fun-filled three-day face to face comic/zine workshop designed for 8- to 13-year-old children. A zine is a small-circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images. The workshop will focus on developing a zine series on themes such as climate change, animal protection and kindness. Working in groups, each team will work on different aspects of the zine series development, from storyline to illustration. Summer Zine Labs will be held within the iconic Harrington Street Arts Center; a premier art gallery that will help the young participants to engage with the city’s-built heritage as they develop their comics and zine materials. The workshop will end with a site-specific exhibition where the children's materials will be displayed for public viewing and feedback. Don't miss this exciting opportunity to explore your creativity and develop new skills!
This is a project to help augment young learners’ and their ability to creatively express contemporary and global narratives through innovative techniques of writing, illustrations and zine making. The implementation of this workshop will help us understand the relevance and recall of comics / graphic illustrations / zines amongst young people and how we (as enablers) can facilitate the learners’ interest.
Meet the Trainers
Swarna Jana: Swarna is a publisher, writer, and illustrator. She run Spout Books, an independent international publishing company that works with authors and illustrators from India and across the world working on books and written materials comprising translations, illustrated books, short reads and much more.
Arnab Banerjee: Arnab is a culture producer based in Calcutta. He runs Meta Arts, a culture production company based in Calcutta. His company produces projects of literature, music and performing arts. He works regularly on arts education projects for children and young people. He’s produced comic workshops for schools and is currently developing a virtual reality project through literature of Wales and India for young people that will be premiered in June 2023.
- Introductions and icebreaker activities
- Briefing on the workshop's objectives, themes, and expectations
- Ideation phase: brainstorming, researching, and developing concepts in groups.
- Each group to select a theme to work on.
- Writing and illustrating: each group will work on creating their comic/zine series.
- Individual and group coaching from facilitators
- Material selection and arrangement
- Finalize and assemble the comic/zine series.
- Set-up for exhibition and prepare for public viewing.
- Showcase of the comic/zine materials developed out of the workshop to the public audience.
- Dates: 18 May to 21 May
- Workshop timings: 10.30 AM to 1.30 PM
- Venue: The Harrington Street Arts Centre. 8 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, Suite 5 and 25, 2nd Floor, Kolkata-700071
For more information call on 9830323004 or email Indialibraries@britishcouncil.org