The essay competition gives all nationals or residents of all Commonwealth countries and territories the opportunity to give their views about the world, share their dreams for the future and develop their creative writing skills.
What are the prizes?
- Winners flown to London for a week of activities and an Award Ceremony
- Publication of the winning entries on the Royal Commonwealth Society website and magazine
- Certificates for every participant (to be downloaded online)
Participants are encouraged to be creative in their response. Answers can be submitted in number of formats, for example: poem, letter, folk tale, script or essay.
Multiple submissions are not allowed and will lead to disqualification. For more information, see the Terms and Conditions.
Want to print the topics? Download the competition flyer
Born after 1st May 2001 (under 14 years)
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of being young?
- Imagine what the world will be like when you are an old person.
- I am the future!
- Imagine you are a young person living in a different part of the Commonwealth. What is life like for you?
Born between 2 May 1996 and 1 May 2001 (14-18 years)
- What do you hope to achieve in your lifetime?
- In 2030 you will no longer be young. What changes would you like to see in the world in 15 years’ time?
- Youth versus experience.
- Fresh perspectives. What can a young Commonwealth offer?
Ready to Submit?
Are you ready to submit your entry? If so, follow the instructions on this page.