The British Council partnership with SSA (Axom Sarba Siksha Abhiyan) Assam embarked on an ambitious programme Aim Higher in Assam (AHA) to develop English language skills in government primary schools across the state.
Aim Higher in Assam
- to improve the English language confidence of teachers of English in Standards 1-5
- to develop and improve the training skills of a sustainable cadre of Master Trainers and improve key trainer training techniques and skills so that they can effectively cascade their training to other teachers
- to enhance the ability of teachers to deliver English lessons in Standards 1-5 using the NCERT Marigold series and methodologies based on the principles in the National Curriculum Framework 2005
- to raise awareness of the project objectives and course outcomes with school leaders and Divisional Programme Officer (DPOs) so that they may support its implementation
- to identify a cadre of mentors who will actively encourage and support change in the field
- 460 Master Trainers (MTs) trained over three phases
- 11600 teachers in 26 districts of Assam trained through cascade delivery in 2012-13
- 70 per cent of the trained Master Trainers met expectations during Phase1 of cascade training monitoring in December 2012.
- 96 per cent of the Master Trainers confirmed the relevance of the training to their current context.
- 97 per cent of the Master Trainers confirmed that either the content or the methodology was new.
- 97 per cent of the Master Trainers confirmed that they feel more confident because of the training they received.
- 89 per cent of the Master Trainers identified three planned actions for pre-training and during training activities.
- capacity-building workshop for Master Trainers to develop skills for English language teaching and learning
- baseline observations of current classroom teaching and learning
- lesson planning workshop
- TeachingEnglish Radio and LearnEnglish Radio series broadcast
- cascade training (Phases 1,2,3)
- Master Trainer refresher training course (Phases 1,2,3)
- SMS tips for teachers
- impact assessment study
- mentor training