The British Council partnership with SSA (Axom Sarba Siksha Abhiyan) Assam has embarked on an ambitious programme Aim Higher in Assam (AHA) to develop the skills of English language in government primary schools across the State.
Aim Higher in Assam
- To improve the English language confidence of teachers of English in grades 1-5.
- To develop and improve the training skills of the Master Trainers and improve key trainer training techniques and skills so that they can effectively cascade their training to other teachers.
- To enhance the ability of teachers to deliver English lessons ingrades 1-5 using the NCERT Marigold series and methodologies based on the principles in the National Curriculum Framework 2005
- To raise awareness of the project objectives and course outcomes with heads of schools and DPOs so that they may support its implementation.
- To identify a cadre of mentors who will actively encourage and support change in the field.
Project Reach in 2012-13
- 460 Master Trainers (MTs) trained over three phases
- 11600 teachers trained through cascades in 2012-13
- 26 Districts of Assam covered through cascades
Project Impact in 2012-13
- 70 per cent trained MTs met expectations during phase1 of cascades monitoring in December 2012.
- 96 per cent trained MTs confirmed relevance of the training to their current context.
- 97 per cent trained MTs confirmed that either the content or the methodology was all new.
- 97 per cent trained MTs confirmed that they feel more confident because of the training.
- 89 per cent trained MTs could come up with three planned actions for pre-training and during training activities.
- Capacity Building Workshop for Master Trainers
- Baseline Observations of current classroom teaching and learning
- Teacher Training Film Series
- Lesson Planning workshop
- Teach English Radio and Learn English Radio
- Cascade Training –Phases 1,2,3
- Master Trainer Refresher Training Course-Phases 1,2,3
- SMS Teacher training Tips
- Impact Assessment Study
- Mentoring Training