About Curating Fashion and Dress:
Spanning four centuries, the V&A’s Fashion collection is one of the largest and most comprehensive in the world. V&A fashion exhibitions have attracted millions of visitors enabling the Museum to develop an extraordinary wealth of expertise in the field of curating fashion and dress. This one-week intensive course is a unique opportunity for museum professionals from overseas who are interested in harnessing the V&A’s extensive expertise to develop their own fashion and dress curation skills and enhance their collections.
The course presented a comprehensive insight into the V&A’s Fashion and Dress collections. Participants were taken through the whole curation process, from collecting, to conservation and mounting, to ensure they were able to make the most of their own collections. All of the teaching was delivered by experts from the V&A and includes both talks and hands-on workshops to suit different styles of learning. Participants were also invited to share real examples of projects from their institutions that they could develop during and after the course.
• The dos and don’ts of collecting historical and contemporary fashion
• Conservation practices
• Mounting fashion and dress
• Planning and delivering a fashion exhibition
• Introduction to the Clothworkers’ Centre for the Study and Conservation of Textiles and Fashion
• Cataloguing a fashion collection
By the end of the course, the participants will have:
• increased their knowledge and skills in the field of fashion and dress curation
• discovered new ways of making the best of their fashion and dress collections
• met with peers from around the globe and become part of an international network of museum fashion and dress professionals