Results declared for Newton Bhabha PhD placements Programme with DBT (2015 -16)
Results declared for India UK Advanced Training School (2015 -16)
British Council and Department of Science and Technology are pleased to announce the results of the Newton Bhabha PhD placement programme. Please view the list of successful applicants in the 'downloads' section below.
About Newton Bhabha Fund:
The Newton Bhabha Fund aims to bring together the UK and Indian scientific research and innovation sectors to find joint solutions to the challenges facing India in economic development and social welfare. The scheme is part of the UK’s £375 million Newton Fund to support science and innovation partnerships between the UK and emerging powers.
In India, the Fund is worth £50 million over five years and is supported by the UK and Indian governments through a ministerial agreement. Activities under the fund will be managed by a core group of Delivery Partners: the Academies; British Council/HE International Unit; Research Councils; TSB; and the Met Office
The Newton Bhabha Fund will use the UK’s strengths in research and innovation to support greater scientific research capacity in India and build research partnerships between British and India research institutions.
How will we achieve that?
The Fund will cover three broad categories of activity:
- People: building skills and capacity through training and people exchanges;
- Programmes: research collaboration on development topics;
- Translation: taking innovation from universities to industry.
We have identified together with the Indian government three main priority areas to focus on:
- Sustainable Cities and Rapid Urbanisation
- Public Health and Well being
- Energy Water Food Nexus
The following two underpinning capabilities were also identified:
- High Value Manufacturing
- Big Data
By working together on research and innovation programmes, the UK and India will build a strong, sustainable and systemic relationship. This will support the continued excellence of a scientific research base and innovation ecosystem and act as a golden key to unlock opportunities for wider collaboration and trade between both countries.
British Council India has planned a number of activities under the Newton Bhabha Fund to enhance scientific research in India. These include:
- PhD scholarships for young Indian students to do their PhD at UK universities.
- PhD placements for young Indian and UK students to spend 3-6 months of their research at any UK university or Indian university.
- Workshops and seminars that will share UK’s expertise and improve India’s ability in a number of areas, including research skills, research management and administration, English for scientific research and knowledge transfer from academia to industry.
- Bilateral Summer and Winter schools for hands-on training of advanced research techniques for PhD students and early career researchers.
- STEM education and curriculum development.
All calls will be published on this site and more information on specific programmes will be available shortly.
Get more information
Read more about the Newton Fund or contact our management team:
Purti Kohli, Senior Programme Manager – Newton Programme Purti.Kohli@britishcouncil.org