Summer is here and it’s a great time of the year for kids to explore new activities. Essay writing is one such activity.
An essay can live its own life in a way that is completely different from what the creators had in mind. Essays ignite the imagination to create stories. They inspire, connect & encourage. They can make us want to write more, expand our horizon to create more. They can educate, persuade and entertain us. They can bring us together and create a shared experience.They can bring a hidden part out of us that we never even knew existed.
Write an essay on a vacation where Hermione is your sister, Matilda as your niece, Sherlock as your uncle, Dumbledore/Gandalf as granddad, Raskolnikov as the wayward brother no one talks about, Violet Baudelaire in Lemony Snicket, Susan Calvin from I Robot as your Mum, Cinderella as a cousin or Snow- white as a friend, Rapunzel as a sister or Prince Phillip as a brother, or any other character from your favourite book as a relative.
Rules of the competition:
• Competition will start from 15 May 2017
• It is open to children between 5 and 15 years only
• The entries will be categorised into 4 groups from participants in the age group of (i) 5-6 years , (ii) 7-8 years (iii) 9-12 years and (iv) 13-15 years
• 2 awards will be announced from each group
• Only one entry per participant will be allowed
• The entry must be an original work created by the participant
• Entries from participants in the age group of 5-6 years are expected to be in the form of pictures( pictorial representation of the essay)
• Entries from participants in the age group of 7-15 years should not be more than 500 words ( may be illustrated with pictures)
• Entries will be read and judged by personalities from kid's literature
• The entry must be emailed to Valavan.S@britishcouncil.org or can be submitted at customer service desk
• Closing date for receipt of all entries 31 May 2017
• Winners will be announced on Saturday 24 June 2017 at the British Council
• Entry is free