Teenage years can be difficult for many families. Adolescence is a time of rapid change, not just for the young person but for the parents too. It might be hard to let go sometimes, but parents need to recognise that young people may develop ideas, values and beliefs that are different to those of their parents. This is part of the normal process of moving towards independence. Parents may struggle with how much independence they should allow their children at different ages and in different circumstances. Positive communication is still easy, but negative communication becomes very challenging. So how do we tune into our teen?
There is no prescription for this. Each young person is an individual and needs different advice. Also it is important to appreciate the fact that your teen has a different view of the world and their opinions need to be respected. Communication with teenagers is different from communicating with younger children and can cause conflict and stress. This interactive workshop focuses on parent-teen communication which is a crucial link to setting up a relationship or bond for a lifetime. At this age communication has to be honest, open and two way. Moreover, ground rules and expectations have to be set in consultation with your teenager teaching your teen the importance of a collaborative relationship.
This workshop will discuss the following aspects :
- Recognizing communication styles
- Issues that can affect communication with teenagers.
- Communication tips and strategies with teenagers
- Negative communication with teenagers – Providing feedback and criticism.
- Turn negatives into positives – Positive Influencing
- Updating opinions about rights and responsibilities
- Listening more and talking less – Active Listening.
- This interactive and energetic workshop will focus on experiential learning with a focus on;
- Quick skill checks
- Experience sharing through group discussions
- Pair work
- Role Play
Who should attend?
Whether you are single or married, a mom or dad, or a grandparent or other caregiver, this workshop is for you.
18 and above
Members: INR 700 per participants
Non-members: INR 1200 per participants
Terms and Conditions
- Non-refundable fee is payable in full prior to the commencement of session. Payments can be made either by cash or card at the British Council customers services desk.
- If obliged to cancel an event, the British Council reserves the right to do so without further liability, subject to the return of any fee already paid.
- The schedule of the workshop is subject to change or gets cancelled.
How to Register
- To register the participant / participants, all you need to do is to visit the Customer Services Desk at the British Council, submit the session fee and register a place for yourself. You can register online as well from the link given above
- For further information about the registration process, call (+91 33) 40074331 or write to Arnisha.Dey@britishcouncil.org